- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. (Make sure that every square inch of the pan is fully greased and coated in flour so that the cake does not stick.)
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, mix together oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Add in the eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and cloves) until well-mixed.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the mixing bowl, and beat on medium speed until blended, scraping down the pan at least once to be sure that the mixture is well-mixed.
- Fold in the grated carrot by hand, and stir until combined. Stir in the nuts and/or raisins, if desired. Mix well.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans. Bake using the bottom heat function for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and cool on a wire rack until the cakes reach room temperature.
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth; make sure no lumps remain in the mixture.
- Add in the vanilla extract and salt, and continue mixing until combined.
- Lower the speed to medium-low and gradually add in the powdered sugar.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until combined.